Interested in a new career opportunity with a diverse growing farming business?
Herd Manager - Permanent
RE Evans Farms Ltd is a family run farming business based in the heart of Pembrokeshire coast’s National Park and comprises two dairy herds, an earlies to main crop potato programme, winter brassica and daffodil production as well as cereals and grassland encompassing 2,000 acres.
The herd at Lower Broadmoor currently comprises of 400 Friesian/Holstein dairy cows. The farm is approximately 800 acres and at present the herd is autumn/winter calving. The herd average is 10000 litres per annum. Cows are mainly fed on a TMR (total mixed ration). Milking twice a day through a 40-point internal rotary parlour.
To profitably manage the herd, maintain the parlour and dairy in accordance with the Farm assurance regulations whilst achieving top class standards in the areas of hygiene, fertility, footcare and general husbandry. To work with & lead a team of 2 - 3 full time individuals to assist with the above.
The farm is currently scoping a major investment project to include a new rotary parlour, improved housing, welfare and slurry storage. The successful candidate will play a key role in the establishment of this facility and its integration to the existing farm as well as optimising the output from the new facilities.
- To manage the unit on a day to day basis to include milking at least once a day out of a twice per day regime.
- To plan, cost and implement a programme to monitor and increase profitability with General Manager.
- To meet with General Manager at least once a month to discuss and report on the progress of the business.
- To take a lead role in the use of technical information such as nutrition, breeding and genetics, and animal health.
- To work with the recently installed Alta Cow Watch system to optimise cow fertility & health.
- To ensure the highest standards of welfare of all livestock is maintained.
- To be responsible for keeping accurate accounting records for the unit to include checking & authorising invoices.
- To efficiently maintain required herd records such as NMR, medicine book, BCMS & all necessary documents for farm assurance.
- To plan for and meet all necessary hygiene standards regarding livestock, equipment and buildings.
- To be responsible for recommending any investment and/or changes to the running of the unit.
- To achieve successful DIYAI results.
- To manage and develop the team, and recommend to DC any recognised training needs that will benefit the individual and the business.
- To comply with health and safety regulations and be alert to any required changes and improvements in current practice and to lead by example in terms of safe ways of working.
- To operate the unit with consideration for the environment and national park.
- Maintain a professional and presentable appearance to the business.
- To work with our dairy customer First Milk on initiatives they introduce to the farm to drive improved welfare, environmental practices, reductions in antibiotic uses, Johnes schemes etc.
- Any other duties to ensure the smooth running of unit.
- Proven track record of managing and improving the productivity of a dairy herd with limited supervision.
- Knowledge of managing pasture and forage.
- Practical experience of managing young stock and beef.
- Practical knowledge of basic farm accounting.
- Working knowledge of - DIYAI , Genetics, Record keeping, Hygiene standards, H & S Regulations.
- Experience in leading and managing people.
- Effective communication skills, Numerate & IT literate.
Salary – negotiable
Accommodation - 3 bedroom family house available
Other benefits - 28 days annual holiday including bank holidays
Contributary Pension scheme
Training & Development opportunities
Schools: there are 2 primary schools near the farm in the villages of Broad Haven & St Ishmaels. A choice of Secondary schools in the nearest town of Haverfordwest approximately 10 miles from Farm Close proximity to a number of beaches on the Pembrokeshire coastal path.
If you are interested in this unique opportunity to be part of a close knit team of passionate individuals working to grow a successful diverse agricultural business located in a beautiful part of the country, please get in touch.
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter explaining why this role appeals to you to RE Evans Farms Ltd, Orlandon Cottage, St Brides, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA62 3AP or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date 31 May 2019.